Monday, April 19, 2010

Garbanzo Bean And Raw Kale Salad With Lemon-Turmeric Dressing




A Nice Blend of Raw Food and Protein Packed Garbanzo Beans
I love the many benefits of a raw food diet. But I don't think it's necessary to be 100% raw all the time. (Read my posting on How Raw Do You Need To Be?) Here's a recipe that mixes cooked garbanzo beans with raw kale and red bell pepper, blending the benefits of both. Cooked garbanzo beans contain all the essential amino acids (the amounts are listed in my posting on Vegan Farfalle Pasta and Garbanzo Beans with Raw Walnut Pesto along with their other nutritional benefits). Some people find cooked garbanzos more digestible. However I do prefer them raw when making Raw Hummus with Sprouted Garbanzo Beans.

Kale - Great in Soup, Salads, Smoothies - Even Chips!
No matter how you prepare kale, it's a nutrient powerhouse packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and essential fatty acids. If you enjoy raw kale, try these two recipes: A Raw Kale Salad and a Raw Green Kale Smoothie . Another enjoyable raw kale salad is Raw Kale, Corn and Red Bell Pepper Salad. My absolutely favorite cooked kale soup is Tuscan Bean Soup with Kale and Cannellini Beans. And if you are looking for a healthful snack, try Raw Kale Chips with Added Omega 3.

Put Together This Delicious and Healthful Salad in Just a Few Minutes
In just a few minutes, you can slice up some raw kale, open a can of garbanzos, chop up some vitamin C packed red bell pepper and red onion and mix up a quick lemon, turmeric and oil dressing. The added bonus is the spice turmeric which reduces inflammation and has been used for rheumatoid arthritis, and has been linked to the prevention of Alzheimer's and the ability to fight a number of cancers.

***

Garbanzo Bean and Raw Kale Salad
[serves 4]
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
dash cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 packed cup kale, thinly sliced
One 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 to 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced

Place the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, turmeric and cayenne pepper in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add sliced kale to the salad dressing and massage the dressing into the kale with your hands. (Warning: your hands may turn a little yellow. Just wash off with soap or use plastic gloves). Add garbanzo beans, red onion and red bell pepper and mix well. Serve or refrigerate until serving. This makes a great "make ahead" salad since none of the ingredients get soggy.

Per serving: 159 calories, 4.4 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 6.8 g protein, 23.8 g carbohydrates and 5.0 g of fiber.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I made this twice last week, it is delicious!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Thank you. So glad you enjoyed it!

Stephanie Shallah said...

I have been making this since discovering your blog last fall. I have made it for a baby shower, girls night, family dinner and as a holiday dinner salad. I never leave reviews - I often forget - but I have loved this recipe so much and I keep coming back to it so I think it's time for you to know about how highly your recipe has been recieved everywhere I have made it (CT, NY and even MO). I usually double the quantities when I make it because it it just so popular. Have even used the leftovers for an omlette the following morning. Well done! and thank you. Can't wait to try more of your delicious recipes!!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Hi Stephanie,
Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback! This is also one of my favorites to take to potlucks or to serve at parties. I love that it tastes great at room temp!
I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It means a lot to me!
Joanne