Monday, October 20, 2014

Shredded Kale And Quinoa Salad With Red Grapes, Bell Pepper, And Sunflower Seeds
Vegan and Gluten Free

Adding quinoa to a kale salad turns it into a meal!

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.
If you enjoy my blog, you'll love my eBook!
on Amazon and iTunes.
 

Inspired at the Airport
My daughter and I just spent a lovely four days in Sedona. Besides the beautiful red rocks and relaxing spa treatments, we were blown away with the food. One restaurant was better than the other. So when we got to the Phoenix airport to go home, we were kind of bummed that our last meal would probably be terrible. I mean, when's the last time you had a good meal at an airport?

We were pretty shocked when we walked into Chelseas Kitchen in Terminal 4. The restaurant itself was large and beautiful and the food was definitely NOT what you would expect at an airport (unless you are in the International Terminal in SFO.)


Chelseas Kitchen at the Phoenix Airport

The dish that inspired me the most was their kale salad (they were kind enough to make one without the parmesan cheese). It was mixed with quinoa, bell pepper, juicy red grapes, and sunflower seeds. To me the red grapes were the best and most surprising ingredient. I never thought of throwing a grape into a kale salad and their sweetness just made the flavors explode. And any time you add a grain, such as quinoa or rice, to a salad, it turns the dish into a hearty meal.

When I got home, I immediately tried to replicate it and I think I did it. They use more oil than I do but since I need to knock off a few pounds from the vacation, I cut down on the dressing.

So here it is, my dairy-free, gluten-free version of Chelseas Kitchen's "Shredded Kale & Quinoa Salad. I honestly think it's now my FAVORITE kale salad recipe. You should try it!

                *                           *                            *

Shredded Kale and Quinoa Salad 
Vegan and Gluten Free
[makes 4 meal-size or 6 side salads]

1 cup dry quinoa
 water
4 packed cups thinly sliced raw kale
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon cold-pressed hemp oil*
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small red bell pepper, small diced
1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
* If you don't have hemp oil, just use two tablespoons of olive oil instead of one.

To prepare quinoa: Rinse quinoa in cold water. 

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in quinoa, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked, about 18 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool a bit.

(To cook your quinoa in a pressure cooker, cook for 5 minutes with 1 1/4 cups of water.)

While the quinoa is cooking and cooling, place the kale in a large bowl with the lemon and oil and mix thoroughly. Set aside for 20 minutes to "marinate."


Marinating the kale in lemon and oil makes it tender.

Add the quinoa and the remaining ingredients to the kale. Mix thoroughly and serve.

Per meal-sized serving (4): 326 calories, 12 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 796 mg omega-3 and 5,038 mg omega-3 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 g protein, 48 g carbohydrates, 6 g dietary fiber, and 575 mg sodium.

Per side salad (6): 217 calories, 8 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 530 mg omega-3 and 3,358 mg omega-3 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, and 383 mg sodium.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

This looks delicious! Do you use Quick Release if you do the Quinoa in the Pressure Cooker?

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

No, let it come down naturally. Quinoa comes out beautifully in the pressure cooker.

Trixie said...

Really? I ask because I've heard about it cooking in 1min & then natural pressure. I guess I thought 5mins would be too long. Thank you!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

According to Jill Nussinow, The Veggie Queen and Author of "The New Fast Food", use 1 cup of quinoa to 1 1/4 cups of water - set at 5 minutes at high pressure and then let the pressure come down naturally.

Trixie said...

Thank you!! I can't wait to try this :)