Monday, November 17, 2014

Making Polenta in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
The Creamiest Polenta I've Ever Eaten!
Vegan And Gluten Free

I love polenta when it's soft and creamy.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

Making Polenta in my Electric Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Last month I blogged about my new Electric Instant Pot pressure cooker. I've been using it almost every day. I thought I would love it because it cooks things in less time, which it does for many dishes like beans, for example. But even when it takes the same amount of time, when you add in the time it takes for the pot to release its pressure naturally, I actually love it more for the texture it gives grains (like quinoa, polenta, and oatmeal.) It also frees you from having to continually stir dishes, like risotto.

Making polenta is one of those dishes that requires complete attention when making it on the stove. It needs constant stirring toward the end, it can boil over onto your nice clean stove, or send a flying hot clump of polenta into your eye. It also can result in polenta that's a bit gritty and crunchy. But making polenta in this pot not only makes it a lot easier, but it produces the creamiest polenta I've ever eaten! 

Great for your Gluten-Free Guests
Polenta is versatile and makes a great dish for various toppings. You can top polenta with ratatouille, sautéed mushrooms, tomato sauce, beans, poached or fried eggs, or just eat it plain or with a cup of fresh corn stirred in. Today Doug and I had it for lunch with some black beans (cooked with green peppers and onions) and some pickled jalapeños that I canned a few weeks ago. 



          *                           *                            *

Creamy Pressure Cooker Polenta 
(**This is an updated recipe)
Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free
[makes 6 servings]

Requires the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker or a similar pressure cooker (link below for stove top recipe)

3 1/2 cups water
1 cup gluten-free dry polenta or corn grits 
1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 tablespoons nutritional yeast 
1/2 cup soy or other non dairy creamer

Place the water, polenta, Earth Balance, and salt into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.

Cover with the pressure cooker top, making sure that the quick release switch is closed. Push the manual button and set it for 7 minutes.



When it's done, hit the off button on the lower right and let it release it's pressure naturally. It should take 15 to 20 minutes. 

After the pressure is released, slide open the cover and tilt it so that the steam comes out the back away from your face. There will be some liquid on top of the polenta. Stir until the liquid is incorporated and the polenta is smooth. Stir in the creamer. Adjust salt if needed. If you want it thicker, hit the sauté button and cook for a few more minutes but it will thicken a lot as it cools.




Serve immediately.

Don't have a pressure cooker? Here's the recipe for making polenta on a stove top


12 comments:

Hakuna Matata said...

wow! That was a wonderful idea, cooking with pressure cooker only. Thanks! private chef in austin

Lisa said...

Joanne, thanks for this post. I just got an Instant Pot and was looking for info on how to do polenta in it. This recipe worked perfectly. I used all water and no nooch, and after it was cooked, I stirred in maybe 1/2 cup of cashew cream. Fabulous! I really appreciated being able to find tips and guidelines for method and timing, for the Instant Pot. Thanks again! -Lisa

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Hi Lisa,
The cashew cream sound like a nice touch. Will have to try that!
Joanne

Unknown said...

The texture of these was okay; however, it did start to burn on the bottom. (It didn't taste burned but it stuck to the pot.) I spent a long time trying to get it clean, so I probably won't be using this method again.

Gail said...

Use the pot-in-pot method. No scorching and cleanup is so much easier. I never do polenta or oatmeal any other way.

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Thanks for the tip Gail. My polenta usually is ok but I've had trouble with sticking when making tapioca and I occasionally use pot-in-pot for that.
Joanne

Unknown said...

Can I use real milk?

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

I've never tried it with real milk but you can certainly give it a shot! Let me know how it turns out.
Joanne

RealWorkingWomen said...

Could I please have the original recipe? It was my husbands favorite! I am cooking it now from hopefully a correct memory :)

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Do you mean the stovetop recipe? Here it is http://foodsforlonglife.blogspot.com/2012/09/creamy-vegan-and-gluten-free-polenta.html.
Joanne

RealWorkingWomen said...

No before the recipe was altered. The instapot version. It used to have you heat the liquids first and it didn't use creamer. I made it from memory and it worked! Thank you!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Oh yes, I forgot that I changed it. Why do you like that one better? Because of the addition of the creamer?
Joanne