Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Roasted Delicata Squash with Rosemary
Easiest Winter Squash To Prepare

Delicata squash are easy to prepare since you can eat the skin.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

Delicata Squash
I wasn't very familiar with this winter squash until my friend Pam told me it was one of her favorites. So when I saw it in the nursery this summer, I decided to plant some. I'm glad I did because, after tasting it, I decided that it's one of my favorites too!

One of the reasons I immediately fell in love with this squash is because it has a delicate rind, hence the name delicata. This not only means that it's easier to cut, but it doesn't need to be peeled, much like a kombocha squash. Anyone who has wrestled with trying to cut pumpkins, butternut and spaghetti squash knows what I'm talking about.

Like other winter squash, delicata is a great source of carotenoids such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. It's high in vitamin A and C as well as B vitamins (except for B12) and minerals such as manganese, copper and potassium. It's also a very good source of fiber. 

Here's a simple way to prepare it.

           *                  *                 *

Roasted Delicata Squash
Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free
[makes 4 servings]

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus some for greasing pan
1 1/2 pounds delicata squash
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a shallow roasting pan or cover it with a Silpat sheet. If you use the Silpat sheet, do not grease the pan.

Cut the delicata squash vertically.


Remove the seeds and cut into half-moons, about 1/2 inch thick.


Place in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and toss until evenly coated with oil and seasonings.


Spread evenly in a shallow roasting pan in a single layer.


Roast until tender and browned, about 30 to 40 minutes. Turn half way through.

Serve warm and enjoy!


For more simple and delicious vegan recipes, check out my eBook, Health Begins in the Kitchen.

No comments: