Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Instant Pot Coconut Curry Zucchini Soup
Vegan And Gluten Free

A good way to use your garden zucchini!

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

It's Zucchini Time
There have been years when I've planted so many zucchini that I was ready to set the garden on fire.  This year I promised myself I would scale back and only planted a single zucchini. However, it's so prolific that I'm still having a hard time keeping up with it. So you may be seeing more zucchini recipes this summer.

My one and only zucchini plant.
Today's recipe also uses potatoes since we just harvested over 50 pounds of new potatoes a few days ago. They are so easy to grow and what's better than a freshly harvested new potato?

Our potato harvest.
Although I cook this in my Instant Pot, you can easily make this on the stovetop. I include notes on stovetop directions below.

                        *                                   *                                      *

Coconut Curry Zucchini Soup
Vegan, Gluten and Dairy Free
[Makes 9 Cups]

Requirements

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (~1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sweet curry
1/2 teaspoon hot curry, or to taste
2 pounds zucchini, sliced
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and diced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can lite coconut milk
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice

Directions
Heat the oil in the Instant Pot using the SAUTE function. Add the onions and ginger and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the Instant Pot and stir in the sweet and hot curry. (To make on the stovetop, do this step in a large saucepan.)

Stir the curry into the onions.

Add the zucchini, potatoes, broth, coconut milk and salt.

Sliced zucchini and diced potatoes.
Lite coconut milk has plenty of flavor and
creaminess but far fewer fat and calories.


Secure the lid, press the MANUAL button, and set for 5 minutes under high pressure. When done, press the OFF button and quickly release the pressure. (To make this on the stovetop, simmer in the large sauce, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Continue with recipe.)

When complete, open the cover and tilt so that the steam comes out the back and away from your face. 

Using a hand immersion blender, blend the soup until fairly smooth but leaving some small chunks of zucchini and potatoes.


You still want to see the specs of zucchini.
Stir in the lime juice and adjust salt if necessary and serve.



Nutrition
(Per cup): 112 calories, 5 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, and 276 mg sodium.

2 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I just purchased an instant pot and am looking for ways to learn to use it. This recipe looks simple enough. I get my zucchini from a local farmer- wish I could grow my own-

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Hi Judee,
I know you will enjoy your pot. I have more IP recipes on the site. Check the index on the side for more ideas.
Joanne