Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Raw Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad With Orange Chia Seed Vinaigrette, Dried Cranberries (Or Pomegranate Seeds) And Almonds - Perfect For Thanksgiving!




Love Them or Hate Them?
Most people have a strong opinion about these petite little cabbages. Me and the kids love Brussels sprouts and I made them every Thanksgiving when they were young. But my husband's not a fan and my daughter-in-law, who is just starting to come around, has in the past practically banned my son from eating them. But fear not, Brussels sprouts lovers, I think I've developed a recipe that everyone can enjoy. Try presenting this colorful dish at your next Thanksgiving or winter holiday feast! Double or triple the recipe for more guests. If you'd like, substitute pomegranate seeds for the dried cranberries.

Complete Raw Vegan Thanksgiving Menu
Last Thanksgiving I posted a Complete Raw Vegan Thanksgiving or Winter Holiday menu from raw appetizers to dessert. It's been a very popular post so check it out for lots of great "raw" ideas for Thanksgiving.

Amazing Health Benefits
On cup of Brussels sprouts provides over 100% of your daily requirement of vitamin C and K. Besides broccoli, it contains more glucosinolate (a phytonutrient associated with protecting our cells against cancer) than any other vegetable! They are also a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, folate, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and manganese.
This recipe also gives you all the benefits of the amazing chia seed! Each serving provides over 400 mg of ALA omega 3 fatty acid. Check out all my Chia Seed Recipes.


***

Raw Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Chia Vinaigrette
[makes 4 servings]

2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon fresh orange zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon raw agave nectar
1 tablespoon raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 packed cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons dried cranberries (or pomegranate seeds)

In a small bowl, mix chia seeds with water and stir well. Stir several more times over the next 30 minutes while the chia seeds absorb the water.
After the chia seeds have formed a gel, add zest, orange juice, olive oil, agave nectar, apple cider vinegar and sea salt and mix thoroughly. (This dressing can be made ahead and refrigerated).
Mix dressing with the thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, almonds and cranberries and serve.

Per serving: 74.8 calories, 3.2 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 404 mg ALA omega 3 and 603 mg omega 6 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.5 g protein, 11.5 g carbohydrates, and 2.7 g dietary fiber.

5 comments:

Debra said...

Wow, what a beautiful salad! I like that you kept the brussel sprouts raw. Also, you need to get an award for the most recipes that use Chia seeds!! I am excited to try this recipe. Thank you:)

KootenayBorn said...

I love brussel sprouts!

The main reason I even looked at this post was because I have been reading a lot about alkaline diets. I know more or less the more veggies the more alkaline (but not necessarily?). If you know something about it, you should post something on it! It would be nice to hear your thoughts!

I had a chart that I got at the local health food store that showed the varying levels of acidity of foods, and brussel sprouts had a relatively high pH...

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

I am a big believer in eating alkaline foods even though some experts are skeptical. Yes it is true that your body has the mechanisms to maintain your arterial bloods's pH level between 7.365 and 7.45 no matter what you eat, but I believe you are making it much easier on it when you eat alkaline foods. As far as foods go, depending on the source, I find some inconsistencies on the stated alkalinity and acidity of foods (for example, the book I have says that brussels sprouts are mildly alkaline) but in general, most fruits and veggies are good, especially leafy greens. I've been meaning to blog about this for some time but holiday recipes and writing my new cookbook are consuming my time right now. I'll definitely target a post on this for early 2011.
The other thing that I think is excellent is drinking alkaline water. Four months ago we bought an alkaline water system and were so excited about it, my husband became a dealer! If you want to know more about that, send Doug an email at dww@sonic.net. In the mean time, keep eating those veggies!

a gracious plenty said...

i know i am late to this ballgame, but wanted to let you know i made this salad last night and it was so delicious. my partner even ate a second helping--and she isn't the biggest veggie eater.
i love the brussel sprouts so much more raw than i do cooked. thanks for the great recipe.
btw, the dish was just as good when i ate it again tonight.

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

So glad you and your partner enjoyed it! I also noticed that it stores just as well as the raw kale salads do. Thanks for mentioning that!