Friday, December 12, 2014

Chia Hachiya Vegan Eggnog
2014 Virtual Vegan Potluck
Ripen A Hichiya Persimmon Overnight!


No eggs, no dairy - just creamy eggnog goodness!

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest or
download my eBook, Health Begins in the Kitchen
on Amazon and iTunes.

Welcome to the 2014 Virtual Vegan Potluck!
Bloggers from all over the world are participating once again to bring you delicious vegan recipes - from appetizers to desserts. You will be able to click to through to their recipes later on but first, let me share my mine.

Hachiya Persimmons
This recipe starts with a funny story - well, maybe not-so-funny story. 

Four years ago I planted what I thought was a fuyu persimmon tree. It hasn't done very well. In fact I haven't gotten a single persimmon on it - until this year. I got ONE. Yes, after four long years I got one stinkin' persimmon. I didn't even notice it until every leaf fell off the tree and then, there it was. A big hachiya persimmon. I waited all this time only to discover that the nursery sold me the wrong persimmon tree!


My entire harvest!

Ripen a Hachiya Overnight!
The reason I didn't like hachiya persimmons that much was because they took so long to ripen and lose their astringency. But I recently discovered that they can easily ripen overnight if you put them in the freezer! Who knew? 


Freeze overnight or longer and defrost.
If you have the time, let them sit out an extra day
after defrosting to ripen even more.
Slice and scoop out ripened fruit. 

Friends with Persimmon Trees are the Best Kind
My friends Bill and Lauren have been supplying me with fuyu persimmons while I've been patiently waiting for my tree to produce. My friends Ray and Rory have lots of hachiyas that I have never been that interested in because I didn't know the freezer trick. But now I'm thrilled about getting hachiyas from them and they have generously given me several boxes of them. His tree gets almost 1,000 persimmons on a good year!


Thanks Ray and Rory!

The Best Recipes are Accidents
Now that I am mother to many hachiyas, I've been wondering what to do with them. One day I made a smoothie with almond milk, cinnamon, chia seeds, and a juicy persimmon and my husband said, "this tastes like eggnog!" It sure did. To be certain, I threw a shot of bourbon in it, sprinkled it with nutmeg and it was wonderful. I was so excited because I LOVE EGGNOG but can't have dairy. And, I HATE CALORIES. Even the vegan eggnogs in the store are crazy high in calories.

So I have been playing around with this recipe all week and I think I've finally perfected it. 


Chia Hachiya Eggnog Ingredients

By the way, this eggnog has only 185 calories and 3 grams of fat, even with a shot of Maker's Mark. Regular eggnog, with a shot of whiskey, has over 400 calories and 19 grams of fat! 

          *                             *                            *

Chia Hachiya Eggnog
Vegan, Gluten Free (if using a gluten-free alcohol or omitting alcohol)
[makes 6 (1-cup) servings]
Requires a good blender

Plan ahead one day to freeze persimmons and a few hours to defrost and soak chia seeds.

INGREDIENTS
2 large hachiya persimmons
4 cups Silk vanilla almond milk (or other non-dairy vanilla, sweetened milk)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg plus some to sprinkle
2 packets stevia, or to taste 
Tiny pinch of salt
6 ounces (3/4 cup) Maker's Mark whiskey (optional)*

* Maker's Mark does not claim to be gluten free because they use red winter wheat used as a flavoring grain that gives it its special taste. However, the bourbon is double-distilled which supposedly strips the gluten from the wheat. Use your own discretion given your particular sensitivity to gluten. For a gluten-free alcoholic eggnog, substitute rum, which is generally gluten free. If gluten is not a problem, I highly recommend adding Maker's Mark.

DIRECTIONS
The night before, or sooner, place the hachiya persimmons in the freezer. 

Take them out of the freezer to defrost. Meanwhile, sprinkle chia seeds into the vanilla almond milk and stir vigorously until they are well separated. Do this several times over the course of 10 minutes to make sure they don't clump together. Set aside for an hour or more while the persimmons are just defrosted enough to cut. 

Slice the top off the persimmons and then cut each vertically in four pieces, cutting away the inner, fibrous center vein that tends to be astringent.




Scoop out the flesh and place in the blender, discarding the skin. 

Stir up the milk and chia seeds and add them to the blender along with the cinnamon, 1/8th teaspoon of the nutmeg, stevia and salt. Blend until smooth.

Pour into glasses and stir an ounce (2 tablespoons) of Maker's Mark (or other bourbon) or rum into each glass (optional). Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve. 

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Per serving (without alcohol) 116 calories, 3 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 594 mg omega-3 and 219 mg omega-6 fatty acids**, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, and 108 mg sodium.


Per serving (with a shot of Maker's Mark) 185 calories, 3 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 594 mg omega-3 and 219 mg omega-6 fatty acids**, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, and 108 mg sodium.

** Omega fatty acids do not include contribution from almond milk since that information is not available.


OK, now for the rest of the Virtual Vegan Potluck Recipes!

LINK TO PREVIOUS VIRTUAL POT LUCK RECIPE

LINK TO NEXT VIRTUAL POTLUCK RECIPE



LINK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE POTLUCK


12 comments:

Annie said...

Oh wow! How creative! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at the Potluck.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting and healthy take on eggnog! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Yum, this looks good. And I didn't know you could ripen persimmons in the freezer either.

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant revelation! I love it when you discover a new flavor you weren't intending to create!

Anonymous said...

I learned something new about persimmons today :) Great-looking egg nog!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe!! I am so glad you discovered it and brought it to the potluck. It looks delicious.

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments. If anyone lives in Sebastopol, I'd be happy to share some persimmons with you while they last!
Joanne

marfigs said...

Delicious looking! I'll keep this in mind for the next time a persimmon crosses my path :D

Glue and Glitter said...

Oh my gosh. Ripening a persimmon in the freezer is genius. I am so impatient with them.

Unknown said...

I love persimmons but yes they have to be ripe. I didn't know the freezer tip, thanks for this. Does it sweeten it too? I am gonna have to try this. I like your take on eggnog. Sounds delicious!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Yes, the persimmons sweeten the eggnog but I find that it needs a little extra so I add a few packets of stevia.
Everyone that tries it really likes it. I hope you do too!
Joanne

Keely said...

How fantastic, I love persimmons and I bet this tastes wonderful. Thanks for bringing it to the potluck!