Tuesday, November 08, 2011

A Simple Raw Vegan Asian Pear And Raspberry Crisp With Walnut Hempseed Crumble

This no-cook crisp features pears and fresh raspberries

Follow Foods For Long Life on FACEBOOK !

Crisps - The Perfect Dessert!
I love fruit crisps. When they are baked, they fill the house with yummy aromas. When they are raw, they truly capture the flavor of the fresh fruit. As the holidays approach, consider serving a fresh crisp! Last fall I posted a raw Pear and Apple Crisp with Raisins. Today's crisp uses Asian pears, fresh raspberries and an omega-3 rich crumble made from English walnuts and hempseeds. I think you're going to love it! It's so fresh and healthy, I just ate the leftovers for breakfast! 
Unlike my other crisp recipes, this one is easier. I made a quick crumble to sprinkle under and over the fruit and that's it, we're done! I wanted to limit the handling of the fruit as the raspberries are so delicate.


Asian Pears
There were some beautiful Asian pears in the grocery store this weekend. If you haven't had one of these wonderful fruits yet, you should try them. Unlike traditional pears, they are firm when ripe (more like an apple),  crisp and far less perishable. 


A Niitaka Asian pear


Adding Hemp to the Crumble Topping
I usually make crumble topping with English walnuts, almonds or other raw nuts. Today's recipe uses a combination of walnuts and one of my favorite "power seeds", raw hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are tender with a nutty flavor and unlike chia or flaxseeds, they don't need soaking. I sprinkle them on fruit or green salads, on oatmeal and cream of wheat and occasionally I just eat them out of the package with a spoon! They are a wonderful source of ALA omega-3 fatty acids and they contain a surprising amount of high quality "complete" protein. Three tablespoons of hemp seeds has as much protein as 2 medium eggs! So the next time someone asks you, "where do you get your protein", tell them you eat hemp seeds! One of my favorite brands is Nutiva organic shelled hempseeds.


3 tablespoons of shelled raw hemp seeds have:
174 calories
11 grams protein
3 grams omega-3 and 7.5 g omega-6 fatty acids


Spread fruit out in a pan over 1/2 cup of crumble topping


Sprinkle remaining crumble on top


Simple Asian Pear and Raspberry Crisp
Raw Vegan, Gluten Free
[serves 10]


For the topping
3/4 cup raw English walnuts
3 Medjool dates
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raw, shelled hemp seeds
3 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
For the filling
6 cups peeled Asian pears, thinly sliced and cut into smaller pieces
2 teaspoons Fruit-Fresh produce protector (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries


To make the crumble topping, place walnuts, dates, cinnamon and salt in a food processor with an S blade and process until the mixture begins to stick together. 
Add hemp seeds and coconut and briefly process to incorporate. Set aside.
Prepare pears and place them in a large bowl and toss with Fruit-Fresh product protector or lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Gently fold in raspberries.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the prepared crumble topping on the bottom of a 9 inch round  pie pan or an 8"x8" square pan. Spread all the fruit over the crumble making sure the raspberries are evenly distributed.
Sprinkle the remaining crumble topping over the fruit.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate or serve immediately. Raspberries are very perishable so eat within 1 or 2 days. 


Per serving: 180.8 calories, 10.9 g fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 1.6 g omega-3 and 5.4 g omega-6 fatty acids, 0 mg cholesterol, 4.8 g protein, 18.7 g carbohydrates, 5.9 g dietary fiber and 59 mg sodium.

5 comments:

Square Meals said...

Looks delicious :-)

Sandy said...

I passed this recipe on to my mom because it looked so good. She got around to trying it before I did and called me last night to gush over how delicious it is! "It's like stepping into paradise!" she says. And she went on from there. Now I'm in a rush to get to the store for some Asian pears! ;)

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Thanks for the feedback Sandy! I'm so glad she loved it. I hope you do to!
Joanne

Sandy said...

Hey Joanne, where are you buying the Fruit-Fresh fruit protector? I just asked at Whole Foods (Petaluma) and they'd never heard of it. Is it more of a mass-market product I'll find at Safeway?

And one other comment: It would be soooo great if there was some way to put a "Print" button on your blog so we could print your recipes easily. As it is, I have to do this copy and paste into a Word document routine. But I'm probably asking for the moon, right?

:) Sandy

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

Hi Sandy,
I think you might have more luck at Safeway or in a place that sells canning supplies. You can always substitute it with a little lemon juice (1T) but that tends to make the crisp watery. It's purpose is to keep the fruit from browning.
Sorry about the print thing. Not sure how to do that. But hopefully, in a year, you'll be able to conveniently find my best recipes in the book I'll be publishing :) ! I need to get busy!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Joanne